- Don't feel like you need the full hiking gear but do dress appropriately. Wear sturdy shoes with good grip, take a jacket and put on sun cream.
- Pack a bag with bottled water and consider taking a book or sketchbook for when you reach the summit.
- Don't be afraid to take lots of breaks on your way up (or down). Yes, it might take you a lot longer but it's better to take it slow and enjoy the experience, right?
- Arrive early. It will be quieter and means you can combine your visit with a trip to Hellbrunn Palace or Salzburg Zoo, both of which are on the bus route back.
- Don't be put off by your current fitness levels or lack of experience in mountain climbing. It's a lot less intimidating than you would expect!
I can't wait to return to the Untersberg with Rich in tow. We'll next be in Salzburg in December so it's going to be pretty snowy and probably cloudy but it will certainly be an experience, that's for sure!